Friday, December 3, 2010

FOUR STEPS TO SPIRITUAL GROWTH Step 1 Topic 7

Step 1: Study the Word of God

Topic 7: The word of God is Treasure

Pastor Maselo Mosomane

“I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” Job 23:12

Here is a man who lost everything in one day. We read in the bible that there was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job. He was the greatest of all the people of the East. He was an upright man who feared God and shunned evil. He was blessed with seven sons and three daughters. His livestock increased so that he had in his possession 700 sheep, 3000 camels, 5000 yoke of oxen, 5000 female donkeys, and a very large household.

One day his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house. This was a usual occurrence as they used to do – moving from one house to the other partying among themselves. The old man would remain at home minding his own business. Being a righteous man himself; he would always be concerned when his children were out partying thinking that in their pleasure they might forget themselves and sin against God or maybe curse His Name. He would always; after such parties, offer sacrifices to God to sanctify his children, in case such wickedness might have overtaken them.

One day four servants rushed into Job’s house at different intervals; each with a report from the department of his engagement. The Sabeans raided and took away all his oxen and donkeys, killing the servants. Lightning struck and killed all his sheep, killing the shepherds. Chaldeans stole all his camels and killed servants. A terrible storm hit against the house in which Job’s children were partying and the house collapsed on them leaving them all dead. Job lost everything; his children and wealth all together in one day. The only thing left in his account was his wife and four servants who escaped the tragedies.

When he heard the news, Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head and he fell to the ground and worshipped. When His three friends heard of his disaster they came; instead of comforting him they accused him of some secret sins. Eliphaz accused Job of hidden unbecoming behaviors. Bildad argued that Job was a hypocrite. Zophar condemned Job for self-righteousness.

Let us take a little time to examine Job’s attitude and how he responded to all these disaster. Our text today comes down like rain, ready to water dry hearts and bring forth spiritual vegetation. Listen to how Job responded to all these arrogant accusations. “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” Job 23:12

Many people would start questioning the validity of God’s word as soon as they loose one shoes lace. “What is this about the word of God? Where is He? Why did He allow this to happen to me? Why me? It’s no use. I’m trying to live right yet I fall victim to such things? There is no difference.” They exclaim. “It is useless to serve God; what profit is it that we have kept His ordinance, and that we have walked as mourners before the Lord of host?” Malachi 3:14

”But Job said something different. He said; “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips.” The commandment of His lips is His word. He commanded holy men to write as they were moved by the Spirit. In other words, Job said I did not stop reading and studying the word of God. It is a shame that most of us would not even look at the bible when we are pressed on either side.

I remember twenty five years ago when I was in the bible college. My car got stolen and was never recovered since then. I had only one car. I used it for my job and for attending my studies at Christian City Bible College. I was staying approximately 25 km away from the college. Maybe I was in the right position to stop everything because “God had failed me” as many would say. “Why would He allow this to happen to me when I was busy preparing myself for the call He has placed upon my life?” All the students and staff prayed for a miracle to happen. Though it was hard to take I didn’t bother for I was surrounded by prayers of strong men of God. I was convinced my car would be found.

The first week passed by. No miracle. The second week passed too; third week, a month, two months and so on and on. Still there was no miracle. I still did not have a vehicle to do my work and attend my studies. I was forced to used lifts. There was a man I would not forget for anything. His name is Pastor Johannes Masombuka in Tembisa where I was staying at the time. I was attending the bible college with his wife Deborah. This man of God would pick me up and drop me at the gate where I was staying.

I am aware that my situation was in no way similar or worthy to be compared to that of Job; but what I want to bring forward is this; by the grace of God I did not curse God or drop my studies. I cannot attribute any of these to my spirituality for it was just by God’s grace that I could hold on until I finished my studies. But Job, in a worst state than mine said “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” Why was it possible for Job to hold on to the word of God? The answer is; he treasured the word of God.

Friend, when you see the word of God as treasure; nothing matters anymore. Job says he treasured the words of His mouth more than his necessary food. Though he lost everything one thing he was not prepared to loose was the word of God. He treasured the word of God more than his sheep, camels, oxen, donkeys, servants and his own children.

One day Mrs. Job just had enough of all these and couldn’t take it anymore. She suggested that Job curse God and die. There many have been other things apart from her family tragedy that may have influenced her proposition; I assume. If it were in our time we might suspect that Mr. Job had insurance policies and the payment was good. But Job was not to die any soon. Who knows; maybe life policies would pay out and her financial problems be alleviated if Job could only die. But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?” Mrs. Job knew what would kill Job fast. She knew that departing from the word of God is death and if Job could just do that he would die. Friend; never depart from the word of God for in the day that you do that you will surely die. Not even at your spouse’s suggestion; don’t do it!

In all these Job did not sin with his lips. When his bigheaded friends played “holier than thou” to him he said; “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.”

I assume there are some lessons we can learn from old Job in this passage of scripture. Not many of us have had the tragedy of Job; yet we could not hold on like him. As a pastor, I have seen many people who refuse to be comforted when something goes wrong in their lives. They; in fact, don’t want a comforter; they want someone who will exaggerate their circumstance.

Job realized too early that the answer to whatever problem one might find himself in; is the word of God. When he discovers this, he calls the word of God treasure. He says I have lost it all but my treasure is secure – no one will take it away from me. Take the world and all that the world provides, but leave me with the words of His mouth. Leave me with His word. Leave me with the bible.

Oh that we may take Job’s example and treasure the word of God more than our daily necessities. Oh that we may treasure the word of His mouth better than thousands of coins of gold and silver Psalm 119:72. Nothing can take the place of the word of God; nothing can replace the power and wisdom that only the word of God can provide.

Don’t neglect the study of the word of God for anything the world can offer – not even money or wealth for both will one day loose value and fail to provide help to those who hold on to them. Don’t get me wrong; money and wealth are important. Just don’t let them take the place of the word of God in your life. Don’t make them your altar whereupon you worship. Worship only on the altar of the word of God. There is gonna be a day where “they will throw their silver into the streets, and their gold will be like refuse; their silver and their gold will not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord; they will not satisfy their souls, nor fill their stomachs, because it became their stumbling block of iniquity” Ezekiel 7:19.

No comments:

Post a Comment